Replace Lost or Stolen Green Card

Posted May 28th, 2011. Filed under FAQ's Green Card Advice

I misplaced or lost my green card, should I or do I have to replace it?

Most definitely. You cannot re-enter the United States if you do not have your Green Card or Premanent Residient Card with you. Make sure you apply for a new card as soon as you realize your card is lost or missing.

What form do I need to fill out to replace my Green Card?

If your green card is lost more missing, you will have to fill the form I-90 from. You can get the form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by calling 1-800-870-3676 or directly from their website at

lost green card

What’s Required to apply for replacement Green Card?

First you must submit the INS the “inital evidence,” which basically proves that you are the rightful owner of a green card. What you can do is
1) submit a photocopy of your lost green card if you have one
2) if you’re replacing a damaged card, simply send back that card
3) file your application with a copy of your driver license, passport, non-driver ID card, or bith certificate. This option only applies to people over 18 years old.

Then you must mail in two passport style photos, which can be done cheaply as stores such as CVS for about $5-$10. Be sure to print your application number on the back of the photo so it’s easily identifable by the processor.

How much does it cost to replace my lost or stolen green card?

Losing your green card will cost you $365 for application fee, and then another $85 for what’s called a biometric fee, for a total of $450.